Thursday 2 May 2013

Altered book.

I was really excited to do this altered book project for illustration as is was something I had done before in college and wanted to continue. For my final major project for Graphic Design in college I made scenes from a story I had written about recycling aimed at children. 

I started this project wanting to make another story not necessarily aimed at children but I wanted it to be cute and heartwarming to read. One of my favourite books is called 'This is for you' by an artist called Rob Ryan who's artworks are all made of intricate paper cutouts. The story is a cute romantic journal of a childs thoughts and dreams growing up and is really something nice to read when you need to cheer yourself up a bit.

I wanted to do a similar thing with my altered book but have it as an interactive book. So the reader could play along with it as it was being read. I started with the words 'Let's pretend we are children' and it has two little children playing then the little boy gives the girl his heart and she can take it with her wherever she goes throughout the books and on adventures. 
Unfortunately this idea seemed to start out pretty well and the idea was there but it just didn't turn out on paper how I hoped it would in my head. I spent a lot of time planning and wasn't getting anywhere then just went for it and it wasn't as good as i'd hoped so I moved onto a different idea. I hope to come back to this eventually with a fresh mind and a fresh book because I know there is something there that I want to do it just wasn't the right way to go about it.




I moved onto my Treasure Island altered book matey! Why are pirates called Pirates? Because they ARRRRRRRR! It's a cute little treasure chest in the sea and when you open it up it has a little mirror and maps and a pirate hat and Jewels! Who doesn't like Jewels?





No comments:

Post a Comment